Phonics Screening Check
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS YEAR 1 SCREENING CHECK - JUNE 2017
- The phonics screening check is a statutory assessment for all children in Year 1.
- It will take place week starting 12th June 2017.
- It comprises of a list of 40 words (20 real and 20 nonsense).
- Expectations from the Government is that pupils should achieve up to 32 out of 40 to reach the expected level.
- The check will take about ten minutes per pupil and will be conducted by the class teachers.
- Children who do not achieve the expected level at the end of Year 1 must be considered for a retake in Year
- We will report the result of your child’s score out of 40 along with the % of children who have reached the expected level. This must be reported to you by the end of the summer term hopefully by the second week in July.
PHONICS SCREENING CHECK - THINGS THAT WILL HELP YOUR CHILD READ
- Let your child see you read and read to them
- Tell your child about interesting things that you have read in newspapers, magazines and books.
- Visit the local library.
- Visit bookshops.
- Sit with your child every night and engage with them in their reading. Please make comments in their reading record book to assist the teachers.
- Discuss with them about what they have read in the book.
- Ask them to retell the story.
- Talk about interesting words and identify words or interesting phrases that they might use in their writing.
- Occasionally ask them to write the sequence of the story and identify characters.