Reading in the EYFS
Reading in the EYFS begins with developing a love of books and stories. We place reading and books at the centre of our curriculum through our ‘Story of the week’ and a language rich curriculum. Phonics is taught daily in a fun and engaging way using the Jolly Phonics scheme. We promote reading skills in the EYFS through:
- Each class has high quality book corners that are changed regularly to engage children.
- ‘Story of the Week’ web links are shared with parents so they can read them in their home language before the children learn about the story at school,
- Reading Readiness groups in reception,
- Nuffield Language Programme,
- Shared reading,
- Regular 1:1 reading with adults,
- Oral opportunities to respond to stories,
- Visits to local libraries,
- Modelling reading strategies to parents to encourage them to read at home with their children,
- We invite parents in to observe a reading lesson to share strategies and model good practice,
- Reading trains are sent home to develop children’s reading of high frequency words,
- Use of story sacks to enhance reading,
- Speaking and Listening opportunities in all areas of learning and throughout free flow learning to compliment understanding of reading,
- High quality learning environments that provide a wide range of opportunities to apply reading skills both indoors and outdoors.